Thursday, March 5, 2009

Courtney Murphy - 'Tis Nobler to Build


A good banana is hard to find. This morning I was checking out the bananas in the local cafe - they didn't meet my rigorous standards - when I noticed the bowl holding them.

In short, the bowl made up for the bananas, and I knew that it was Courtney Murphy's work.

There is no shortage of potters and ceramic artists in the Asheville area, and even though I am one myself and have an eye for work of the clay persuasion, it speaks to Courtney's strength that her work is so instantly recognizable. It is hers and hers alone.

After the banana incident, I decided to check out her website. Choc full of gorgeous photos and information about her work, I found out that Courtney studied in Denmark, and she draws a lot of inspiration from children's art. "Aha!" I thought. Picasso once said "it took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child," and I am reminded of this by Courtney's work, which has a simplicity and grace that I suspect to be the product of much discipline.

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing Courtney's work at Howard Street Handmade!

No comments:

Post a Comment